Wednesday 6 March 2019

NEW WAVE SONG QUOTES

80s New Wave Gave Us Some Great Song Quotes

I find myself humming tunes from 80s new wave songs all the time. There are some lyrics that get stuck in my head and loop over and over and over and over...


The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

I think of this song everytime I see and old VCR. Yes, I see them a lot b/c I do a fair bit of thrift store shopping and visit antique markets (yes, the VCR is now an antique!)

“In my mind and in my car
We can’t rewind we’ve gone too far
Pictures came and broke your heart

Put all the blame on VCR”


Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong

When I'm out diamond collecting or visiting my local jeweller (which happens once a decade) I see light refracted, which reminds me of the Pretenders' song Don't Get Me Wrong. How scientific / geeky is that reference to light refracting?

“Don’t get me wrong
If I split like light refracted"



The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong


Gary Numan - Cars

I heard this song occasionally, ironically, only on the radio in my car. However, I hear it in my head all the time. It's an earworm that reappears often for some reason. Maybe because it is so catchy!

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
in cars! 


Gary Numan - Cars

The Cars - Let The Good Times Roll

Speaking of cars, how about my favourite new wave band The Cars?! Let the good times roll (on four wheels?) is a lick that rolls around in my ear all the time. Why? I can't explain the brain, sorry. 


The Cars - Let The Good Times Roll

Orchestra Movements In The Dark - If You Leave

I still think the name of the band is so strange, but, that's how bands are right? Artistic, creative, pushing the boundaries. And, everything can be explained by saying, 'hey, it was the 80s'.
The song If You Leave takes you right back to The Breakfast Club and that whole 80s era. If I hear this song in the morning it takes over my mind and repeats all day - which is both good and bad. 


Orchestra Movements In The Dark - If You Leave

As a side note: I wonder if movements by the orchestra in the dark drive the conductor insane? I bet they do.


Orchestra Movements In The Dark - 80s music or conductor's pet peeve

The Police - Can't Stand Losing

This song literally repeats over and over again - both in my mind and in the song. Once you start you know you can't stop until you've repeated the chorus about sixteen times. What a great song. I had the cassette.

The Police - Can't Stand Losing


The Vapours - Turning Japanese

In the 80s Japan was on the minds of many in the music industry. They had the walkman! This influence was shown through the forefront of music - The Vapours! Their hit Turning Japanese really brought this shift in world dominance to the forefront. And it was fun to sing!  


The Vapours - Turning Japanese


The Vapours - Turning Japanese song quote

For you hardcore Vapour fans, I've found a really strange take on the song - turning Japanese = turning into Godzilla.







No comments:

Post a Comment