Wednesday 26 April 2017

80s MUSIC CONNECT FOUR - "HOUSE"

Four 80s music memories connected by the word 'HOUSE'


This is kind of like PEEWEE HERMAN's secret word of the day. Now, whenever you read the word HOUSE, scream real loud okay?

Today's secret word is not very fun - 'house'

OUR HOUSE. That song by MADNESS was one of my favourite songs. It was on the first mixed tape I ever had. I was a dumb kid who took the words literally. I thought 'our house in the middle of our street' meant the house was in the middle of the road, that cars and trucks and buses would smash into it. That's what I pictured in my dumb kid mind.



Here is a house that is literally in the middle of the street!
 


So, picture a house in the middle of the street. Well, lo and behold, just down the road is another house. This house is creepy. The shades are drawn, the lawn overgrown, and every once in a while you'll see a fleeting image of an old man peering out at you. Creepy eh? Well, the next song that connects with HOUSE is The Old Man Down The Road - JOHN FOGERTY. Coincidentally, it was also a song on my first mixed tape. Sometimes I would fast forward past the song b/c it was sounded scary to me - especially when I'd sneak the tape player into bed with me at night.



The old man down the road

BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE - TALKING HEADS. This strikes me as a song that would have been on my first mixed tape, but, I'm not 100% sure. I am sure that this song has the 'HOUSE' (SCREAM!) connection though. And, as a kid I took the lyrics literally again, 'burning down the house'. Another song that I didn't listen to right before bed...I had this weird fear that our house would burn down. Wonder if it was thanks to this song? Hmm.



Talking Heads
The last 'HOUSE' connection is that song by CROWDED HOUSE - Don't Dream It's Over. Now that is a tune that takes me back to the 80s. Funny thing, I just found out Crowded House is from Australia. Dumb kid moment again, I thought they were a band that came from one of those crowded council housing townhouses in England...obviously mixing them up with Madness.



Very 80s eh?
 
This blog post is over...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment